By Marylyn Rigby, Old.New.Blue
Don’t let a little thing like a blemish or dry lips put an end to your bridal bliss; my ‘go-to’ tips will instantly cure any trauma. Here are some of my favorite simple solutions to help you avoid a meltdown on your big day, and fix common wedding-day emergencies:
- Puffy Eyes – To help tighten the swollen tissue, apply cold, wet tea bags or cooled cucumber slices on your eyes. Relax for 10 minutes, remove and rinse your eyes with cool water. For puffiness under the eyes, try a small dap of Preparation H. If your bridal suite doesn’t have cucumbers or tea bags you can also use a teaspoon. Soak one in ice water and then nestle the back onto your lower eyelids and push gently for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Red Eyes – Visine! A few in each eye will leave you with a sparkling stare. For another quick pick-me-up, use white eyeliner or light colored eye shadow to line the inner corners of the eyes.
- Blemish – Apply ice to the blemish for 10 minutes to reduce any swelling. Then apply a cotton ball soaked in 2 tablespoons of lime juice to remove redness and dry that sucker out. Apply medicated clearing cream and let dry before you apply your makeup. After the cream has dried, apply your makeup normally starting with a good primer.
- Self Tanner Removal – If orange is not your color; pour 2-3 cups of baking soda into a warm bath. Soak for 30 mins while gently exfoliating skin with a loofa. For stubborn areas mix baking soda and water into a paste, apply to skin in a circular motion using a soft cloth.
- Chapped Lips – Exfoliate your lips with the toothbrush by rubbing it in small circles all over your lips. Don’t do this for any longer than 1 min; you don’t want to over exfoliate. Apply your most moisturizing lip balm.
- Sunburned Skin – To help with both comfort and color, pour 5 cups milk in a cool bath, and then add a few ice cubes. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes; then apply an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream to help with redness. To reduce swelling, use a cool compress and apply a cream containing aloe to soothe your skin.
- Allergic Reaction -The first thing you need to do is stop eating or using whatever is causing the allergic reaction. Take the recommended dose of a non-drowsy antihistamine, and then apply a cold, whole-milk compress to the affected area for 10 minutes followed by hydrocortisone cream.
- Razor Burn – Witch Hazel! It’s an all-natural astringent that can be used for any blemishes anywhere and over any razor burns.
- Cellulite Reduction:
½ cup warm used, caffeinated coffee grounds
½ brown sugar
1 roll of plastic wrap
Combine first three ingredients into a paste. Massage paste in a circular motion over needed areas. Wrap saturated area in plastic wrap and leave for 10-15mins. Finish treatment with a warm water rinse.
- Forgot Your Bra – Used duct tape to create an instant push-up bra (and cleavage!). Duct tape can also be used to trim off a few extra pounds. Apply duct tape around the waist and stomach; you create he illusion that you’re a little bit thinner.
- Deodorant Marks – Prevent transferring to your dress by spraying hairspray under your arms after you apply your deodorant (hairspray can also be used to keep your make-up in place). If the mark is there already, take a dryer sheet and rub, rub, rub.
- Flabby Arms – Have your makeup artist apply dark foundation and bronzer to add definition to the muscle lines on your arms. This creates the illusion of being more toned.
- Broken Nail – The power of Superglue! Superglue can repair broken nails in a flash. Use a toothpick to grab a tiny amount of glue. Apply it on the tear and allow it to dry completely. Then use an emery board to file any bumps and scratches. If the tear is too large, use a tiny piece from a tea bag material and superglue to patch the tear. Allow the patch to dry and then file away any hard edges. Top it off with matching polish.
Old.New.Blue is hosting a special night of sipping, shopping and pampering. Thursday, April 19th from 6-8pm, Sip Champagne and explore the latest items at Old.New.Blue, and receive a makeup consultation from professional makeup artist Kristy Bergeron. RSVP: 504.655.0863
Say “I do” to disaster relief with the Wedding Day Survival Kit by Ms. & Mrs. Inside these chic, reusable cases are must-have items to help brides fend off any last-minute fiasco. With these essentials by her side, a bride can be prepared for virtually any emergency on her wedding day and beyond.
6117 Magazine St.
New Orleans LA, 70118